Sunday 23 May 2010

Spindle

So not only did I witness my first ever backstage Brighton fashion event, rock egg yolk yellow and grass green polish in one week (don't panic, not at the same time...) but I was lucky enough to attend my first ever magazine launch! I didn't think it was possible that I could want to do what I want to do any more than I already did...turns out that isn't true. At this moment in time, I feel that everything has just reached new levels of cool.
Wikipedia Definition Spindle: Originally, a spindle was a device to spin fibres into thread. The term has many senses that relate ultimately back to the idea of a cylindrical object and what tasks may be done with it (usually involving rotation).
I think the concept really works, this zine is all about unravelling creativity. Here are just a few of the spreads in Issue 1 May 2010 that stood out to me, I struggled to narrow it down, but here are the 8 out of 92 possibilities:

On the night, the editor hailed the recently passed legends Malcolm Maclaren and Alexander McQueen as huge inspiration, Spindle magazine constantly references and celebrates British culture, I liked this article because it asked this question; "Is it possible for someone to proudly wear the Union Jack without either being a racist or, as in Ms Halliwell's case, a vacuous, cynical attention-seeking cunt?" 
Oops fashion showcased on the night.







 Its aim is to promote emerging talent across the fields of fashion, music, art and design. Obviously Brighton is the perfect place to launch such an activity as there is so much genius here. There is nothing 'straight' about Brighton and like Spindle magazine, it is a circle, or perhaps a spinning wheel, in that it can see everything that has ever been, and everything that will ever happen, this magazine requires the reader to go beyond the 'spin' that we tend to stick to, and reach for the most inspiring vision we can come up with and start making it real, however big or small. And why should anything prevent this. You can share Spindle and like most things it is subjective and open to interpretation, I get the vibe that there is no room for negativity here. This can only be a good thing, and when you are on to a good thing...
 Anyway! enough with the sincere stuff, because that definitely doesn't reflect the crazy launch the Spindle team put on! It wasn't Moulin mad but, the combination of crafts, neon, cute, distorted, androgyny, glitter, facial hair and 7 inch strutting made for very interesting viewing:












so this is a keyhole peep into the nights shenanigans photography courtesy of my diamanté embellished cam. Ha! You gotta love it.

Insane or what.

Boop Oop A Doop
 
press shot for Spindle Magazine
And the last word from Chani Ra Layzell wearing Oops Fashion:
This girl interested me on the night. Turns out she is a little bit cool.

"One day you'll see my name all over everywhere, are you excited?"
And despite her overly insulting self assured self, do you know what? I agree with her.
HAHA I just quoted a fucking 17 year old yet to be.
You heard it here first...

A Parting Note: I want to send muchos besos to my LivLew, I have her to thank for the Spindle invite. She modelled on the night and was completely brilliant!
Also I want to hear your thoughts on the Charlotte Haggerty collection I featured; comment below please! xoxo

p.s I got Papped! Brighton's local Paparazzi.

1 comment: