Friday 7 May 2010

cruchcrushcrush

I had a crazy thought just now;
I was listening to Paramore when it struck me that a million other people could also potentially be listening to this song right now...you can definitely apply this to the world of fashion.
Quite currently I'm reading the 'Devil Wears Prada' by Lauren Weisberger, after 7 years I have finally got round to reading this "sassy, insightful and sooo 'Sex and the City', you'll be rushing to the bookshop for your copy like it's a half price Prada sale" paperback.(quote courtesy of Company magazine.) Seven years of rushing and no Prada to show for it...I don't think so somehow. Nevertheless, it came out with an excerpt that got me thinking 'why?' And I quote "Emily (assistant) was deeply invested in Miranda (editor-in-chief)...why....each one (assistants) was humiliated, degraded, and generally abused by their direct superior, only to turn around  and do it to those under them the second they got promoted." it gets better "And all of it so they could say, at the end of the long exhausting climb, that they'd gotten to sit in the front row at Yves Saint-Laurent's couture show and had scored a few free Prada bags along the way?"
Argh!!! 'why?' is actually a very good question! Will I be fulfilled when and if I reach the top of said ladder? What is it that I actually want in the end? What is the 'end'? Watching the scene where Anna Wintour (OBE and Editor-in-Chief of American Vogue) gets almost tearful in The September Issue, makes me quite frightened at future fashion prospects. If this amazingly influential tough lady has moments where she struggles to swallow her latte, then I, in reality, need to beg these questions.
Wintour at the fall 2007 Anne Klein show. Photo by Ed Kavishe, Fashion Wire Press.

As i read this post back, I realise one thing, I want to find out these answers. At any cost. I will.
I mean if I find the answer at the end of this book I talk of, well then that is a bonus.
BUT
something tells me that it is definitely not that simple.

Yes it will be difficult, as difficult as it would be to embrace a pair of the louboutin for Rodarte spikey heels...(not that I have had the unquestionably wonderful experience) but I Love You Fashion I Really Do.
and as Marina (and the Diamonds) would say 'I am not a robot'
I am Amy Yates; English trendster with Sex and the City appeal and eyebrows to remember.

Note to self; start practising what I preach.





Don't sweat it honey, embrace it.


<3

No comments:

Post a Comment