Saturday 18 December 2010

Film Junkie

I have taken to watching films more or less all the time in Roch.
In particular I couldn't stop thinking about Marie Antoinette and The Virgin Suicides (I read the novel in the summer). I craved Marie Antoinette for the visual mind game that it had struck me with the first time round, the 'style over substance' argument annoys me because I think that this film perfectly portrays history. If Paris Hilton were to marry an impotent French Prince, instead of idiots with camcorders, then potentially this might have happened to her, yes, BUT there is no escaping the fragilely evanescent life she led and this film isolates the viewer just as Marie was from the reality outside the young queens world. I feel that this visually scrumptious version of France's iconic but ill-fated Austrian-born queen, Marie Antoinette is history as a guilt free pleasure.
































Similarly the screenplay The Virgin Suicides was written and directed by Sofia Coppola. I think her style masters the act of combining fantasy with a harsher and disturbingly familiar reality, which perfectly captures a story that is being told as it was remembered, not necessarily as it really was. Because of this, in the  film there is never a truly satisfying answer; gentle humour that speaks of the angst and awkwardness both the Lisbon girls and their young admirers experience in their early teenage years combined with the devastatingly isolating act of a multiple suicide creates a dream-like ambiance. Not to mention how beautiful it is to watch, so detail-oriented. The focus on Kirsten Dunst, fragilely evanescent again...





It inspires bewilderment in me...














Just a Parting Note: watch Happy Campers and Heathers.

I must admit life is so much easier now that I can answer "sure I've seen Superbad".



No comments:

Post a Comment