Friday 3 February 2012

Easily the most badass thing you will have seen this year

India Knight just retweeted the new video for M.I.A's latest track 'Bad Girls' , I had to share 
Reasons I like it:
1. It features just about every rap video cliche 
2. There are drivers doing car tricks
3. M.I.A looks amazing
4. She also dresses amazingly
5. It involves a Middle Eastern desert party
6. There are no exploding children


That last point you will understand if any of you have seen her 'Born Free' video from French Director Romain Gavras, he is an infamous portrayer of gritty, realistic, flashing images. The Guardian covered it back in April 2010 making a valid point that MIA's message about ethnic cleansing was diluted with way too many shocking images to make a serious point. In brief a set of grim looking policemen are conducting raids on grimmer-looking blocks of flats and targeting only young men with ginger hair. These men are rounded up, put in armoured buses, and taken away.  I've posted the video below because I'm currently doing a unit on fashion film this term at university so I am sharing my research.


Crazy 9 minute shit for a new single, no?


 Expect a lot more video postings over the next few weeks, research purposes and all.

No comments:

Post a Comment